Applications are invited for IIT Kanpur Summer School on Hydrodynamic Instabilities on 17-21 July 2023. The last date of registration is 10 July.
The subject of hydrodynamic stability deals with how fluid flows become unstable and serves as a precursor to understanding the important problem of laminar-turbulent transition. The prediction of the onset of turbulence is important to many branches of engineering and has also been actively studied by applied mathematicians and physicists.
This summer course aims to introduce the participants to the concepts, methods, and tools of hydrodynamic stability and will prepare them to successfully tackle problems in this area using both analytical and computational techniques.
After completing the course, the participants should be able to critically read and understand research papers related to hydrodynamic stability in leading journals of fluid mechanics. An important component of the summer school is the hands-on practice sessions using Mathematica/Matlab. Thus, the participants will also be well-equipped to carry out stability analyses in their areas of interest.
- Introduction to linear stability analysis
- Classical hydrodynamic instabilities including Kelvin-Helmholtz, Rayleigh-Plateau instabilties
- Stability of rectilinear shear flows: The Orr-Sommerfeld and Rayleigh equations
- Nonmodal stability and transient growth
- Non-linear evolution equation in the long-wave limit
- Convective and absolute instabilities
- Introduction to Mathematica for symbolic and numerical calculations
- Introduction to the spectral collocation technique
The target audience is students who are doing their Masters or Ph.D. in the area of instability and transition, researchers from academia, and also researchers from scientific and industrial research laboratories who are interested in using the concepts and tools of hydrodynamic stability in their research.
Details to be filled while payment:
Course Code: IITK/CCE/23-24/025
Course Title: Hydrodynamic Instabilities: Theory and Practice
Course Duration: 17.07.2023 – 21.07.2023
Step 2: Fill up the Google Form to complete your registration latest by 10 Jul 2023.
For any query, reach us at iitkhitp[at]gmail.com.